Junior year is time to perfect a resume and finish researching. It is time to look for leadership opportunities in the clubs and organizations in which they are involved. Research colleges by visiting and talking to potential professors. Here is a Junior year college preparation checklist with a few things students can do to prepare.
- Work hard getting good grades
- Run for leadership positions in clubs and organizations
- Get involved in extracurricular activities
- Volunteer in the community
- Take the PSAT in October (to qualify for the National Merit Scholarship Competition)
- Take ACT/SAT practice tests
- Attend ACT/SAT preparation workshops
- Take the ACT and/or SAT during the spring semester
- Research possible colleges and request information from them
- Visit college campuses (campus tour, visit with advisors/faculty, pick up admission packet)
- Take solid elective courses (extra math, science, foreign language, social sciences, computers, etc.)
- Get to know the admission criteria of the student’s top schools. Where do they stand in relation to those requirements? Work toward changing what they can (if they fall short).
- What are their strengths and weaknesses? How can they help or hurt them in pursuing a future career?
383 total views, 1 views today